To outsiders, Greenskin social structure seems rather simple. The biggest, meanest and loudest of them are in charge. While this is nominally true, Greenskins are also well aware that being the biggest and loudest doesn't always mean that you are in charge. They follow a certain social order and have the concept of obeying and following orders beaten into them from the moment they step out of the fungus patch.
- Branch Leader - This is an out of game position. The Branch Leader responsible for running and maintaining the branch. Usually also functions as an in-game leader.
- Da Biggest Boss - Supreme leader of the Shadowclan Greenskins in game. This person is responsible for the day to day leadership of the Greenskins.
- Big Boss - In and out of game clan leaders, their orders are to be obeyed at all times. These are very experienced clan members who often provide the necessary support and motivation to keep the Clan progressing in a positive direction. They also serve as a guiding council for Da Biggest Boss. If they ask you to do something, they always have a good reason. If you have concerns or questions about what a Big Boss is saying or doing bring them up privately with a /tell or a PM on the forums.
- Warboss - The Warboss is usually a particularly large, loud and violent orc who decides that they are always right and everyone should listen to them. Of course, this usually only lasts until a bigger, meaner orc comes along. If/when Shadowclan has an active Warboss, they are considered the final word on what and where Shadowclan will clomp.
- Waaagh! Boss - These bosses focus mainly on smashin' things and getting the rest of the Greenskins to smash things as well. They tend to bring Waagh! energy with them wherever they go and can usually be found leading warbands of rampaging Greenskins into enemy lands! Waaagh! Bosses are chosen by the Big Bosses from amongst the loudest orcs that also show aptitude for successfully bullying the troops. These Bosses are known for their capabilities in forming and leading a Waaagh! and are expected to do so on a regular basis. This position is limited to Orcs only.
- Boss - Bosses are leaders of Gangz. They have final authority over their own Gang and also should be shown proper respect from all lower-ranked Greenskins.
- Clan Mak'r - Clan Mak'rs are smart and organized goblins who work diligently to keep the clan supplied and make sure that everyone has the proper equipment. This position is limited to Goblins only.
- Big 'Un and Gob - These are Full Clan members who have sworn their oath to Shadowclan. As the main force of any Shadowclan branch, they set good examples by following the rules and helping guide clan members who are still learning our ways. Big 'Un rank is exclusive to Black Orcs and Choppas while the Gob rank is exclusive to Shaman and Squig Herders.
- Runtee - Initiate member to Shadowclan, they have proven they understand the basic rules and can follow orders, which is the bare minimum expected of a Shadowclan Greenskin.
- Dum Git - Brand new member of Shadowclan. These characters will be promoted to Runtee once they have passed the personal inspection of a Nob or Boss and been deemed worthy.
To join the Shadowclan, simply send a tell to any member ranked Big 'Un or higher.
Every new Greenskin starts off as a Dum Git. This is mostly just a temporary title for new characters. Any new character should try and get in touch with a Nob or Boss for official inspection. Once they pass this inspection (which mainly covers your ability to speak and roleplay as well as making sure that your character name is appropriate), they will be promoted to Gruntee rank.
As a Shadowclan Greenskin grows larger, they can be promoted to Big 'Un or Gob by performing certain tasks or quests for the Big Bosses. These events are generally character-specific and offered to those Greenskins who have shown that they understand the Shadowclan philosophy and also displayed traits that would make them good role models for smaller Greenksins. If you feel you are ready for this promotion, you can contact your favorite Big Boss. But be warned, promotion tasks are not always handed out immediately, and bothering a Big Boss repeatedly will only earn you their wrath!
Bosses are mostly self-appointed by forming a Gang and getting enough Greenskins to follow them to make their voice noticed.
Waaagh! Bosses are chosen by Da Biggest Boss with advice and recommendations from the Big Bosses. It is not unknown for them to also be Bosses of their own Gang. Waaagh! Bosses will need to have already demonstrated their leadership and command abilities before they would ever be considered for this position.
Big Boss ranks are promoted by the Guild Leader as the need arises. All Big Bosses speak with the authority given to them by Da Biggest Boss. Big Bosses give up any Gang affiliation they might have upon promotion. The survival of the Clan as a whole is more important than any Gang.
The Warboss position is one that is taken by force and volume. Only Black Orcs can be Warboss. And not every Black Orc that tries to assume the position of Warboss succeeds!
Standard Bearers play an important role in Warhammer Online. They not only are charged with carrying and protecting our Clan banners into battle, but they also serve as a rallying point for the warbands they are with.
Though the current standard bearers can be changed on the fly by anyone ranked Waaagh! Boss and higher, we have a limited number of slots for active bearers. In order to be eligible to be appointed as a standard bearer, the character must meet the following requirements:
- a Black Orc
- have been trained in use and protection of a banner
- be approved by Da Biggust Boss
There are three Clan Mak'r positions, one Mix'r (Apothecary), one Talisman Maker, one Weed Grow'r (Cultivating).
Clan Mak'rs are always Goblins (Orcs just don't have the mental focus to deal with the minutae of being an official Clan Mak'r) and are considered masters of their chosen craft. Clan Mak'rs are intimately familiar with their profession. They manage the resources pertaining to their craft that arrive in the mail and are placed into the Clan Vault. They are also do their best to maintain a supply of whatever end-goods their profession creates on the guild auctions and/or in the guild vault.
Alongside the Clan Mak'r you will find their apprentices. These are also restricted to Goblins-only. Apprentices are expected to assist the Clan Mak'rs with production and distribution of goods. Their duties and training will vary between Mak'rs. Clan Mak'rs are not required to have apprentices, but they are encouraged to do so, both for roleplay reasons and to help take some of the manufacturing burden off of the Clan Mak'rs.
To assist in their craft, Clan Mak'rs will have access to all sections of the Clan Vault (as they become available).
Some Clan Mak'rs are known to devise crafting-oriented quests and tasks to test lower-ranked Goblins and gauge their suitability for potential promotion within the Clan.